Quantcast

understanding how node links work

nnako
Hi,

in order to start/continue some contribution, I'd like to get into node linking. There are already some ideas which I think would enhance the Freeplane functionalities concerning the creation of usable mechanisms to divide and merge mindmaps while at the same time preserving internal and external node links. Now, for me as a non-native-JAVA-programmer, the code base and some JAVA specific programming techniques seem too big. Too big to find a way through it within available time spans.

I'd need some structure description of relevant parts of Freeplane objects and their effective interconnections. Something like a detailed object model shown in this example picture:
example

Just so that I would know where to start, and approximately where to put my foot down next in order to understand the structural representation of nodes and links within mindmaps on the code level. This might include some interconnection description of objects like LinkController, LinkBuilder, NodeLinks, LinkModel, ConnectorModel, NodeModel, AttributeHandlers,...

Does this sound weird? Or are there other ways to get into the code along a specific subject? I'd be really happy to collect some hints.

Thank you.

Re: understanding how node links work

Hi Nnamdi,

to be honest Freeplane code does not fulfill the modern requirements on code quality, clarity and design.

Basically models were thought as  a state, controller were thought as means to read and change the state in a consistent way, there are also views responsible for rendering and actions which connect user interface with the controllers. Further in order to keep close functionality together it was organized in packages, and optional node elements like links were represented as optional extension objects dynamically added to node models.

I am afraid I do not have the passion to elaborate more. However if you have any concrete questions do not hesitate to ask them.

Re: understanding how node links work

"nnako [via Freeplane Developer]" <[hidden email]>
writes:

> Hi,

hello Nnamdi,

you can contact me (or post here) and I'll try to answer your specific
question.  Unfortunately, Freeplane is quite complex, and I don't know
near as much as Dimitry, but I can try to help.

Maybe it's a good idea to realize a small feature first?

Good Luck and Happy Easter!
Felix