max_displayed_node_count := 1 by default?

max_displayed_node_count := 1 by default?

hi,

given the recent confusion with prefs->Environment->Load->On Load="Fold
all" and "Maximum number of displayed nodes"
(http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/bugs/2185/),
how about setting the default of 'max_displayed_node_count' to 1?

Best Regards,

Re: max_displayed_node_count := 1 by default?

it is actually my failure to find the right term to use instead of "fold all".
How could we call it? "Display (at least) N nodes" where N is given by max_displayed_node_count?

We could also keep "fold all" and make it independent from max_displayed_node_count and introduce a
new option for fix amount of nodes displayed.

I did not care enough about it and I like that we started to discuss it so that we can find a better
solution.

Shouldn't we continue this discussion in the forum?

> hi,
>
> given the recent confusion with prefs->Environment->Load->On Load="Fold
> all" and "Maximum number of displayed nodes"
> (http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/bugs/2185/),
> how about setting the default of 'max_displayed_node_count' to 1?

Re: max_displayed_node_count := 1 by default?

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,

hello Dimitry,
hello Dev team,

> it is actually my failure to find the right term to use instead of "fold all".
> How could we call it? "Display (at least) N nodes" where N is given by
> max_displayed_node_count?
>
> We could also keep "fold all" and make it independent from
> max_displayed_node_count and introduce a
> new option for fix amount of nodes displayed.
>
> I did not care enough about it and I like that we started to discuss it so that
> we can find a better
> solution.
>
> Shouldn't we continue this discussion in the forum?

Unfortunately there was only one response:
  http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/81637788/

=> Pedro voted for:
"Keep "Fold all" and make it independent from "Maximum number of displayed
nodes""

--> org.freeplane.features.map.NodeBuilder.MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT is
only used here:
org.freeplane.features.map.NodeBuilder.registerAttributeHandlers(...).new
IReadCompletionListener() {...}.readingCompleted(NodeModel, Map<String,
String>)

--> so "make it independent from MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT" is equal to
"remove MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT".

Is there an important use case of MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT that I am not
seeing?

Best Regards,

Re: max_displayed_node_count := 1 by default?

> --> so "make it independent from MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT" is equal to
> "remove MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT".

I think "make it independent from MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT" means "introduce a new option and make
all old options independent from MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT"

> Is there an important use case of MAX_DISPLAYED_NODE_COUNT that I am not
> seeing?

My original intention was to automatically give an impression of a opened map by showing not too big
and not too small part of it. If you like this idea you can introduce a new option and keep it,
otherwise just remove it.