VIM key bindings for motion and edit

nnako
Hi devs,

in a open discussion forum post, I posted an idea to equip Freeplane with an alternative user interface for moving the cursor between nodes of a map (and maybe editing text and activating actions, later). I searched around Freeplane's code base and found a place where an implementation could make sense.

Please, could you have a look at the sketch below and tell me if the marked position would make sense or if there is another place more suitable for implementation of this alternative user interfacing mechanism?:

location within JAVA code base

the activity "check for CONTROL_LIKE_VI edit mode" (see green text) would check for the appropriate user input mechanism setting within the user general settings.

For a description of the mechanism in scope, please have a look at the open discussion forum post.

Re: VIM key bindings for motion and edit

nnako
Hi Devs,

maybe, my question has gone lost due to the wide-spread information overkill... ;-)

Could you please review my message / question, posted a month ago, concerning the optimum location (and maybe optimum concept) within the code base for the implementation of a VIM-STYLE input scheme?

This is no feature request. No extra work requested on the side of the developers. Not even a guarantee needed that this feature will ever turn up within the official code base. I just need a hint from people who know the code base good enough to oversee structural implications and dangers.

Thanks again.

Re: VIM key bindings for motion and edit

bepolymathe
That's a great idea. I would add that it would be nice if we could imagine a system that would also allow us to have another variant (bepo, dworak, etc.).

Re: VIM key bindings for motion and edit

nnako
Hi,

as far as I know, BEPO and DWORAK are different keyboard layouts. Compared to QWERTY (or QWERTZ in Germany), they were aimed for "optimized" typing speed and lesser finger movements while typing texts.

Keyboard layouts would not be a hindrance for the application of the VIM input scheme (as VIM is no keyboard layout specification but a mode-based input concept regardless of any keyboard layout). So, the VIM concept will facilitate any keyboard layout as each key binding leading to any function can be freely chosen and configured using VIM's builtin scriptiong language VIMSCRIPT. But, I doubt, that I will be able to implement / port the whole scripting functionality very soon... ;-)

Regards.

bepolymathe wrote