Setting Up Eclipse and Documentation

theworldbright
Hello Freeplane developers. I have followed the tutorial (#Setup_Eclipse_for_coding), which got me set up for the most part. Currently, I am re-building the project each time I make some changes, which takes like 1.5 ~ 2 minutes. I would like to be able to run the project through eclipse’s debugger so that I can set line breaks, check variable values, etc. For some reason, whenever I run the project through Eclipse, the top menu bar doesn’t switch from Eclipse to Freeplane:

Running Freeplane

Besides the fact that I cannot access any of the JMenuItems in the menubar, the rest of the application works fine. However, this is quite a problem if I am trying to make modifications that relate to the menu bar on the top.

I have a feeling this may be related to the fact that I never understood the following instructions:

- Make a local copy of the freeplane-osgi file. Call this freeplane-osgi local
- Upon clicking "Run" Freeplane should appear. (Does this mean the “run” button at the button right of the corner?)

Run configurations

Furthermore, is there any documentation for developers in general, besides the “architecture” wiki page? I would be interested in attempting the wanted feature of adding a background image, but I am have trouble understanding some things (I will post specifically what I am having trouble with once I confirm there is no documentation).

Re: Setting Up Eclipse and Documentation

Hello,

I am afraid no freeplane developer can help you with this issue now because I have seen the problem only using eclipse on MacOS computers and everyone else works under Linux or Windows OS. I still own one old Mac Mini which is connected to a TV. So I could try to solve a problem but please let me know if you manage to do it before.

Regards, Dimitry

Re: Setting Up Eclipse and Documentation

I checked freeplane debugging under Eclipse again and it worked just fine under MacOS too.

I changed description as follows and hope that it helps.

Regards, Dimitry

===Launching the Project===
Now that The project has been imported we need to set up the launcher:
* Goto : Run -> Run Configurations
* Locate the OSGi Framework entry.
:If this entry is not there, the required Plug-in Development Environment (PDE) is missing, see above.
* Duplicate configuration freeplane-osgi. Give the new configuration name freeplane-osgi local
* Select Tab "Common" and select "save as local file"
* Under Mac-OS also select tab "Arguments" and add VM argument "-Xdock:name=Freeplane"
* Upon clicking "Run" Freeplane should appear.

You are now ready for development/debugging within Eclipse.

Re: Setting Up Eclipse and Documentation

theworldbright
This post was updated on .
The instructions make perfect sense now and I can run the application in debug mode but the menu still doesn’t change. Furthermore, I realized that all my keyboard input gets redirected to Eclipse’s standard input/output (i.e. the console). It is as if Freeplane is running “inside” Eclipse: no separate dock icon is created for Freeplane.

Here are some possibly relevant parts of my Eclipse console:

Configuration location:
    file:/Users/home/Eclipse/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/freeplane-osgi local/
Configuration file:
    file:/Users/home/Eclipse/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/freeplane-osgi local/config.ini loaded
Install location:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/
Framework located:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20130814-1242.jar
Framework classpath:
    file:/Applications/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.9.1.v20130814-1242.jar
Debug options:
    file:/Users/home/Eclipse/debug.properties not found

INFO: freeplane_version = 1.4.1 alpha; freeplane_xml_version = freeplane 1.3.0
java_version = 1.6.0_65; os_name = Mac OS X; os_version = 10.8.5

WARNING: not a (script) directory: /Users/home/Freeplane/freeplane/scripts
Jan 28, 2014 10:48:53 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils info
INFO: requesting mode: MindMap
Jan 28, 2014 10:48:55 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils warn
WARNING: Exception in class org.freeplane.plugin.workspace.features.WorkspaceModelExtensionWriterReader$1.onCreate(MapModel): no current project was selected
Jan 28, 2014 10:48:56 AM org.freeplane.core.util.LogUtils info
INFO: menu items to execute: []

My Run Configuration -> Arguments

VM Arguments

Re: Setting Up Eclipse and Documentation

Download and install the latest java JDK 1.7.0_51 from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1880260.html,

configure your eclipse instance to use it setting it as your standard JDK under Eclipse Preferences->Java-Installed JREs->Add /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_51.jdk/Contents/Home

and either select it as your default eclipse jre or configure your local launch configuration to use it.