Quantcast

Ribbons

Hello,

I am going to work on ribbons and menu integration in the next days. Before I can start I want to
discuss some questions with Docear and Freeplane people because there are different ways to do it.
Afterwards I am going to do the implementation on my own except for explicitly mentioned ribbon
related issues where I need some help from Marcel, at least discussing how to do it.

I think Ribbon.xml extended by some additional menu related elements should be the menu master. It
should be converted to menu.xml in the old format using xslt when the classic menu should be loaded.
Instead of keeping menu and preference mind maps there should be scripts exporting ribbon xml to
mind maps,importing the mind maps back and resetting the mind maps to default by deleting the
imported files from the user directory.

What happens with browser mode and file mode which have no ribbon.xml yet? We can remove them, keep
them if ribbons are deactivated or create ribbon definitions for them. People who support the last
choice please volunteer for the job.

Should filter ribbon contain elements from filter toolbar?  Marcel, could we implement it together?
Should filter toolbar be available when ribbons are active or be replaced by a ribbon containing its
elements?

Currently there are two ways to hide property panel, using menu and using a hide/show button on its
left side. Do you need both of them?

Currently there ribbon menu can be hidden only using its hide/show button and the classic menu can
be hidden only using an action. What is the preferred way? DO we need the both?

IMHO the ribbons should be extended by list of last opened maps. Marcel, could we do it together?

It looks like accelerators set in a classic menu mode are correctly used by ribbons but not another
way. Why?

Any other things to consider?
Any things to refactor?

Regards, Dimitry

Re: Ribbons

jokro
Hello Dimitry,
If you start working on ribbons, could you consider including methods to
get XY screen position of menu and ribbon elements, to be used by Robot
class?
I this would be realized I will take up working on the freeplane
animator, which can be used to built presentations and make versatile
instructions of Freeplane functions.
Regards Jodi

Op 31-12-2013 13:13, Dimitry Polivaev schreef:

> Hello,
>
> I am going to work on ribbons and menu integration in the next days. Before I can start I want to
> discuss some questions with Docear and Freeplane people because there are different ways to do it.
> Afterwards I am going to do the implementation on my own except for explicitly mentioned ribbon
> related issues where I need some help from Marcel, at least discussing how to do it.
>
> I think Ribbon.xml extended by some additional menu related elements should be the menu master. It
> should be converted to menu.xml in the old format using xslt when the classic menu should be loaded.
> Instead of keeping menu and preference mind maps there should be scripts exporting ribbon xml to
> mind maps,importing the mind maps back and resetting the mind maps to default by deleting the
> imported files from the user directory.
>
> What happens with browser mode and file mode which have no ribbon.xml yet? We can remove them, keep
> them if ribbons are deactivated or create ribbon definitions for them. People who support the last
> choice please volunteer for the job.
>
> Should filter ribbon contain elements from filter toolbar?  Marcel, could we implement it together?
> Should filter toolbar be available when ribbons are active or be replaced by a ribbon containing its
> elements?
>
> Currently there are two ways to hide property panel, using menu and using a hide/show button on its
> left side. Do you need both of them?
>
> Currently there ribbon menu can be hidden only using its hide/show button and the classic menu can
> be hidden only using an action. What is the preferred way? DO we need the both?
>
> IMHO the ribbons should be extended by list of last opened maps. Marcel, could we do it together?
>
> It looks like accelerators set in a classic menu mode are correctly used by ribbons but not another
> way. Why?
>
> Any other things to consider?
> Any things to refactor?
>
> Regards, Dimitry

Re: Ribbons

Volker Börchers
Hi Dimitry,

Am 31.12.2013 13:13, schrieb Dimitry Polivaev:
> I am going to work on ribbons and menu integration in the next days.

Good news!

> I think Ribbon.xml extended by some additional menu related elements should be the menu master. It
> should be converted to menu.xml in the old format using xslt when the classic menu should be loaded.
> Instead of keeping menu and preference mind maps there should be scripts exporting ribbon xml to
> mind maps,importing the mind maps back and resetting the mind maps to default by deleting the
> imported files from the user directory.

Ok

> What happens with browser mode and file mode which have no ribbon.xml yet? We can remove them, keep
> them if ribbons are deactivated or create ribbon definitions for them. People who support the last
> choice please volunteer for the job.

File mode: I consider this mode more or less useless (it takes an
eternity to load for my file system and each cursor move takes half a
minute). It's good to deactivate this mode by default.

Browser mode: This mode is also not very useful. The only thing that
users actually requested was the possibility to open maps read-only. But
this is only poorly supported by this mode since the menu is not well
maintained (as far as I remember). So I think the best thing would be to
remove this mode completely and to put the "load a map read-only" onto
the wish list.

> Should filter ribbon contain elements from filter toolbar?  Marcel, could we implement it together?
> Should filter toolbar be available when ribbons are active or be replaced by a ribbon containing its
> elements?

Could the filter be placed where Firefox has it, i.e. in the bottom
region instead?

> Currently there are two ways to hide property panel, using menu and using a hide/show button on its
> left side. Do you need both of them?

I think it's good to have one place ("View menu") where all toolbar and
panels are listed since one can easily miss these little arrows you have
to use to unfold a panel.

> Currently there ribbon menu can be hidden only using its hide/show button and the classic menu can
> be hidden only using an action. What is the preferred way? DO we need the both?
>
> IMHO the ribbons should be extended by list of last opened maps. Marcel, could we do it together?
>
> It looks like accelerators set in a classic menu mode are correctly used by ribbons but not another
> way. Why?
>
> Any other things to consider?
> Any things to refactor?

If two modes would be eliminated there are not much left. Probably modes
have there right nevertheless.

Regards, Volker

Re: Ribbons

"dpolivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,

hi all,

> I am going to work on ribbons and menu integration in the next
> days. Before I can start I want to discuss some questions with Docear
> and Freeplane people because there are different ways to do it.
> Afterwards I am going to do the implementation on my own except for
> explicitly mentioned ribbon related issues where I need some help from
> Marcel, at least discussing how to do it.

Thanks for doing the work!

> I think Ribbon.xml extended by some additional menu related elements
> should be the menu master.  It should be converted to menu.xml in the
> old format using xslt when the classic menu should be loaded.  Instead
> of keeping menu and preference mind maps there should be scripts
> exporting ribbon xml to mind maps,importing the mind maps back and
> resetting the mind maps to default by deleting the imported files from
> the user directory.

Not sure I understand you here.

xslt1: mindmapmoderibbon.xml->mindmapmoderibbon.mm
xslt2: mindmapmoderibbon.mm->mindmapmoderibbon.xml

Why not using the current scheme of having the Mindmaps as the primary
source of information, and converting to XML on startup (that way
everyone can customize ribbons/menus)?

> What happens with browser mode and file mode which have no ribbon.xml
> yet? We can remove them, keep them if ribbons are deactivated or
> create ribbon definitions for them. People who support the last choice
> please volunteer for the job.

File mode does not seem to useful for me, either (we cannot compete with
good file managers).

Browse mode: On 1.2.23 I get a blank page, and on 1.3.x I get a
read-only view that exits whenever I click anywhere. Does this mode do
more (Sorry, couldn't find any info about it)?

> Should filter ribbon contain elements from filter toolbar?  Marcel,
> could we implement it together?  Should filter toolbar be available
> when ribbons are active or be replaced by a ribbon containing its
> elements?

I agree with Volker that it would be good to have the Filter options at
the very bottom. But maybe putting all elements at the bottom area
would take up too much space. In that case I suggest to put only the
"quick find" stuff at the bottom, like Firefox does, but maybe with the
"approximate" search option. Then keep the other filter options in the
"Search and filter" ribbon.

Concerning the "quick find": We could do it like FreeMind does it
(Ctrl-f opens a popup-window, Ctrl+g searches for the next occurrence),
find" text box.

> Currently there are two ways to hide property panel, using menu and
> using a hide/show button on its left side. Do you need both of them?

There should be a menu/ribbon option because that's where people look
first when they want to (de)activate an element.

As Volker suggested, maybe put all the View->* options in one place?

> Currently there ribbon menu can be hidden only using its hide/show
> button and the classic menu can be hidden only using an action. What
> is the preferred way? DO we need the both?
>
> IMHO the ribbons should be extended by list of last opened
> maps. Marcel, could we do it together?

Good idea.

> Any other things to consider?  Any things to refactor?

The current structure looks good to me, but I will keep on reviewing it
:-)

Best Regards,