Re: org-mode + freeplane

Fred Gruber <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Felix,

hi Fred,

I am ccing the freeplane developer list.

@Devs: org-mode is a popular Emacs (major) mode for editing tree
structured documents, and Fred and I are working on making sure that org
mode's freemind export is working properly with Freeplane.
Input from you is appreciated. (please keep Fred in CC:).

> thank you for taking the time for fixing this.

No problem - thanks for guiding me (that makes me more motivated :-))

> You are right that it doesn't make sense to have level 3 and 1 but not 2.  However, how about
> getting emacs send an error in that case rather than generating an incomplete mindmap?

I'll try to do it - but it's not trivial.

> I tried the new version and works really well. Just one questions. I tried it in docear (which
> is based on freeplane) and for the TODO icos I'm getting an X icon. Is this the intended icon?
>
> If it is I think it would make more sense to use the "uncheck" icon for TODO and "check" icon
> for DONE.

The problem is that the "[x]" and "[ ]" icons are not available in
FreeMind 0.9.0. We could decide to make our own "org-freeplane.el" though.

> One other thing which would make it even more amazing would be to transform the deadline into
> an alarm (at least in Docear there is an option to add alarms)
>
> For example if I put an alarm for august 4 at 12:27, then ,docear generate the following in the
> mindmap.mm source code:
>
> <hook NAME="plugins/TimeManagementReminder.xml">
>     <Parameters REMINDUSERAT="1407180420000" PERIOD="1" UNIT="DAY"/>
> </hook>

That is also unsupported by FreeMind I think.

> Also noticed that links in the org file [[www.google.com]] are not converted to links in the
> mindmap.

It would be trivial to create <a
href="http://www.google.com">www.google.com</a> HTML from this, but IMHO
it would be better to convert it to a real hyperlink node (the one with
the arrow icon).
However, what do we do with something like that:

* heading 1
a list:
- one
- two with [[www.google.com]]
- three
* heading 2

The easiest way is to treat everything between heading 1 and heading 2
as a HTML richtext node. Would that be useful?

Best Regards,
Felix