Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> We should then configure:
> - disable/restrict caching?
>
> https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_disable_caching_in_mediawiki/

I would not disable it completely but probably not use database if possible.

Currently growing objectcache table is said to be fixed but I am not sure if the version with the
fix already is released.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T44094
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T84960
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94810

may be related to this problem.

http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/community-docs/Migrating%20MediaWiki%20from%20Hosted%20Apps/ recommends

$wgUseFileCache = true;
$wgFileCacheDirectory = "{$IP}/cache";
$wgShowIPinHeader = false;        # Meaningless anyway due to varnish http cache
$wgUseGzip = true;
$wgEnableSidebarCache = true;

$wgDisableCounters = true;        # No major effect, but counters are useless
                                   # due to caching, anyway
$wgMiserMode = true;

> - allow only bueraucrats to create accounts? [3]
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = false;

Do you mean

$wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = true;

?

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

hello Volker,
hello Dimitry,

I re-imported the SQL with cleaned-up users/groups (and cleared object
caching), and the page works again:
  http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

>> We should then configure:
>> - disable/restrict caching?
>>
>> https://www.siteground.com/kb/how_to_disable_caching_in_mediawiki/
>
> I would not disable it completely but probably not use database if
> possible.
>
> Currently growing objectcache table is said to be fixed but I am not sure
> if the version with the
> fix already is released.
>
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T44094
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T84960
> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T94810

We updated the wiki in april/may 2013, so we need to find a workaround
for such problems.

> may be related to this problem.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/forge/community-docs/Migrating%20MediaWiki%20from%20Hosted%20Apps/
> recommends
>
> $wgUseFileCache = true;
> $wgFileCacheDirectory = "{$IP}/cache";
> $wgShowIPinHeader = false; # Meaningless anyway due to varnish http cache
> $wgUseGzip = true;
> $wgEnableSidebarCache = true;
>
> $wgDisableCounters = true; # No major effect, but counters are useless
> # due to caching, anyway
> $wgMiserMode = true;

I haven't looked at this in detail, but changed as you requested:
#use file cache
#$wgUseFileCache = false;
#$wgFileCacheDirectory = "/home/project-web/freeplane/persistent/wiki-filecache14";
#$wgShowIPinHeader = false;
#$wgUseGzip = false;
#$wgDisableCounters = true;

# 2016-01: We had a 4.5Gb object cache (!), so we changed the caching options:
$wgUseFileCache = true;
$wgFileCacheDirectory = "/home/project-web/freeplane/persistent/wiki-filecache14";
$wgShowIPinHeader = false; # Meaningless anyway due to varnish http cache
$wgUseGzip = true;
$wgDisableCounters = true;
$wgMiserMode = true; # NEW on 2016-01-17!

>> - allow only bueraucrats to create accounts? [3]
>> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
>> $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = false;
>
> Do you mean
>
> $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = true;

Yes, sure:

$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = true;
--> let's see whether this works.

If we encounter a cache that is too large again, we can just fix this in
phpmyadmin (but of course we should fix the root cause).

If you give me your ok, then Dimitry, Volker or I can post in discussion
forum to announce it.

Best Regards,

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers
Administrator
Hi Felix,

good job! I see no reasons not to use it. Go ahead and announce that the
homepage is back again. I think we have to monitor the behavior of the
wiki over the next weeks.

Regards
Volker

Am 17.01.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Felix Natter [via Freeplane Developer]:

> [...]
> $wgUseGzip = true;
> $wgDisableCounters = true;
> $wgMiserMode = true; # NEW on 2016-01-17!
>
>  >>
>  >> - allow only bueraucrats to create accounts? [3]
>  >> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
>  >> $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = false;
>  >
>  > Do you mean
>  >
>  > $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = true;
>
> Yes, sure:
>
> $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
> $wgGroupPermissions['bureaucrat']['createaccount'] = true;
> --> let's see whether this works.
>
> If we encounter a cache that is too large again, we can just fix this in
> phpmyadmin (but of course we should fix the root cause).
>
> If you give me your ok, then Dimitry, Volker or I can post in discussion

http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

"Volker Börchers [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Felix,

hello Volker,

> good job! I see no reasons not to use it. Go ahead and announce that the
> homepage is back again. I think we have to monitor the behavior of the
> wiki over the next weeks.

I noticed one remaining problem:

http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/ redirects to the temporary
(webarchive.org) wiki index page (which I renamed wiki->wiki.volker)
instead of http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page.  Any idea?

Best Regards,
Felix

> [...]
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe from Freeplane Developer, click here
>> <
>> NAML
>>
> <http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_
> viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-
> nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_
> subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_
> instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> NAML

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> I noticed one remaining problem:
>
> http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/ redirects to the temporary
> (webarchive.org) wiki index page (which I renamed wiki->wiki.volker)

It works for me.
Could you check your cache?

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

hello Dimitry,

yes, for sure it was a caching problem ;-)

It's quite slow, but maybe the (mediawiki) caches need to be filled.

Best Regards,
Felix