Pacakge solution for Debian/Ubuntu LTS

hello devs,

the problem we're trying to address is that backports for the latest
stable version to older Debian/Ubuntu releases is quite some work (you
need to run the distro in a VM and add patches for the given set of
dependencies in that version). Nevertheless, I want to support LTS
versions with the latest freeplane.

So we thought about using SNAP, which is a cross-distro package format,
that includes all dependencies (and supports running apps in a sandbox).
However, the jdk must be included in snaps, so the package is 108Mb
(freeplane only requires 30Mb). Access to /tmp and mime-type mappings
should be ok but require additional work.

Because of the snap size, I wonder whether this is a good solution.
The big plus would be that it should work on all distros (but not
everyone is willing to install snap/snapd).

On the other hand, I could build a simple .deb that includes all
dependencies for LTS versions, and publish that.

What do you think? Shall I ask this question in the user forum?

Re: Pacakge solution for Debian/Ubuntu LTS

h.goebel
Administrator
Am 05.02.2017 um 18:30 schrieb Felix Natter [via Freeplane Developer]:
> SNAP, which is a cross-distro package format,

I'm afraid neither snap not flatpack are "cross-distro". There is an
srticle in the current issue of (German) Linux Magazin, worth reading.

> On the other hand, I could build a simple .deb that includes all
> dependencies for LTS versions, and publish that.
+1

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [hidden email]               |

Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |