Quantcast

Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

12

Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

1. I removed all people except Volker, Felix and me from source forge project member list.
2. I raised a private support request to source forge with following content:

"#11822 Directory in project web space mysteriously renamed

Our project hosted mediawiki instance containing user documentation and project information has
suddenly become not available. I checked content of web project space and have found that somebody
renamed directory /home/project-web/f/fr/freeplane/htdocs/wiki into wiki.DISABLED . AFAIK it was not
done by any project member.

What could have happened?

Freeplane project lead"

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

wilsonch
It seems it is broken again. I tried to go to www.freeplane.org

1. Server: www.freeplane.org
2. URL path: /wiki
3. Error notes: NONE
4. Error type: 404
5. Request method: GET
6. Request query string: NONE
7. Time: 2016-01-04 20:15:30 UTC (1451938530)

Clark

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers

what options do we have other than waiting for SF? If the deactivation
of our mediawiki instance happened on purpose and if it won't get
reactivated we are having a severe problem.

Could we at least implement a default page that explains the current
situation (without help of SF)?

Hartmut, you suggested a migration to Github pages but on the other hand
advised against it. What else?

Regards,
Volker

http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers
I re-read Hartmut's post at Github: It was not him to suggest a
migration to Github pages, sorry.

Am 05.01.2016 um 21:01 schrieb Volker Börchers:

> Hi,
>
> what options do we have other than waiting for SF? If the deactivation
> of our mediawiki instance happened on purpose and if it won't get
> reactivated we are having a severe problem.
>
> Could we at least implement a default page that explains the current
> situation (without help of SF)?
>
> Hartmut, you suggested a migration to Github pages but on the other hand
> advised against it. What else?
>
> Regards,
> Volker
>
> Am 31.12.2015 um 14:48 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>> 1. I removed all people except Volker, Felix and me from source forge
>> project member list.
>> 2. I raised a private support request to source forge with following
>> content:
>>
>> "#11822 Directory in project web space mysteriously renamed
>>
>> Our project hosted mediawiki instance containing user documentation and
>> project information has
>> suddenly become not available. I checked content of web project space
>> and have found that somebody
>> renamed directory /home/project-web/f/fr/freeplane/htdocs/wiki into
>> wiki.DISABLED . AFAIK it was not
>> done by any project member.
>>
>> What could have happened?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dimitry Polivaev
>> Freeplane project lead"

>> <
>>
>> NAML
>> <
http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers

some measures taken:

1. I tried to rename wiki.DISABLED back to wiki. This leads to an error
about a missing database!

2. Saved a recent copy of the Mainpage from webarchive.org (*) via
Firefox and copied it to htdocs/wiki/ - so
http://freeplane.sourceforge.net and
http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/ are available again.

3. Added a remark about the current problem on the page. You are invited
to improve it! Suggestions welcome!

What else could we do?

Dimitry, do you have a backup of the Mysql database?

Regards,
Volker

*
[https://web.archive.org/web/20151015174602/http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page]

Am 05.01.2016 um 21:01 schrieb Volker Börchers:

> Hi,
>
> what options do we have other than waiting for SF? If the deactivation
> of our mediawiki instance happened on purpose and if it won't get
> reactivated we are having a severe problem.
>
> Could we at least implement a default page that explains the current
> situation (without help of SF)?
>
> Hartmut, you suggested a migration to Github pages but on the other hand
> advised against it. What else?
>
> Regards,
> Volker
>
> Am 31.12.2015 um 14:48 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>> 1. I removed all people except Volker, Felix and me from source forge
>> project member list.
>> 2. I raised a private support request to source forge with following
>> content:
>>
>> "#11822 Directory in project web space mysteriously renamed
>>
>> Our project hosted mediawiki instance containing user documentation and
>> project information has
>> suddenly become not available. I checked content of web project space
>> and have found that somebody
>> renamed directory /home/project-web/f/fr/freeplane/htdocs/wiki into
>> wiki.DISABLED . AFAIK it was not
>> done by any project member.
>>
>> What could have happened?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dimitry Polivaev
>> Freeplane project lead"

>> <
>>
>> NAML
>> <
http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> What else could we do?

No idea

> Dimitry, do you have a backup of the Mysql database?

No I have no backup.
I can confirm that the database referenced from wiki settings does not exist.
Also SourceForge has not responded to my ticket issued on the 31.12.2015 yet.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers
Administrator
Am 05.01.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:

>  > What else could we do?
>
> No idea
>
>  > Dimitry, do you have a backup of the Mysql database?
>
> No I have no backup.
> I can confirm that the database referenced from wiki settings does not
> exist.
> Also SourceForge has not responded to my ticket issued on the 31.12.2015
> yet.

There seems to be a backup of the mediawiki database from
/home/project-web/freeplane/backup and backup-post-upgrade dated
2013-05-13 and one in /home/project-web/freeplane/ dated 2014-06-19. I'm
not sure if it would hurt if we would restore an older state at this
point but 2014-06-19 would be pretty close to the last state as the wiki
hasn't change that much since then I think.

Regards,
Volker

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Hello ,
Strange - when Dimitry posted this,
I was able to access /wiki.DISABLED
And make an XML Backup of all
Pages (untested). I also have an XML
Backup from mid-2015 I think
(If the december Backup is already
Broken).
So I think we can restore an old DB
And then Import XML on top of it.
But I think we should wait for sf
To respond First.
Cheers and Best Regards,
Felix

Am 06.01.2016 um 01:26 schrieb Volker Börchers [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]>:

Am 05.01.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:

>  > What else could we do?
>
> No idea
>
>  > Dimitry, do you have a backup of the Mysql database?
>
> No I have no backup.
> I can confirm that the database referenced from wiki settings does not
> exist.
> Also SourceForge has not responded to my ticket issued on the 31.12.2015
> yet.
There seems to be a backup of the mediawiki database from
/home/project-web/freeplane/backup and backup-post-upgrade dated
2013-05-13 and one in /home/project-web/freeplane/ dated 2014-06-19. I'm
not sure if it would hurt if we would restore an older state at this
point but 2014-06-19 would be pretty close to the last state as the wiki
hasn't change that much since then I think.

Regards,
Volker

To start a new topic under Freeplane Developer, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Freeplane Developer, click here.
NAML

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker, great Job, thanks a lot for doing this!

I agree with Felix, I would wait until we get response from SF because they could have data base
back up and also tell us about what happened. If they can not do anything they are not reliable.

For us you guys decide what to do. For me all is fine including using github wiki and recreating
only the really useful pages there like main page and scripting related stuff.

Many thanks,
Dimitry

> Hello ,
> Strange - when Dimitry posted this,
> I was able to access /wiki.DISABLED
> And make an XML Backup of all
> Pages (untested). I also have an XML
> Backup from mid-2015 I think
> (If the december Backup is already
> Broken).
> So I think we can restore an old DB
> And then Import XML on top of it.
> But I think we should wait for sf
> To respond First.
> Cheers and Best Regards,
> Felix
>
> Am 06.01.2016 um 01:26 schrieb Volker Börchers [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]
> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=831&i=0>>:
>
>> Am 05.01.2016 um 22:39 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>>
>> >  > What else could we do?
>> >
>> > No idea
>> >
>> >  > Dimitry, do you have a backup of the Mysql database?
>> >
>> > No I have no backup.
>> > I can confirm that the database referenced from wiki settings does not
>> > exist.
>> > Also SourceForge has not responded to my ticket issued on the 31.12.2015
>> > yet.
>> There seems to be a backup of the mediawiki database from
>> /home/project-web/freeplane/backup and backup-post-upgrade dated
>> 2013-05-13 and one in /home/project-web/freeplane/ dated 2014-06-19. I'm
>> not sure if it would hurt if we would restore an older state at this
>> point but 2014-06-19 would be pretty close to the last state as the wiki
>> hasn't change that much since then I think.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Volker

>> NAML
>> <http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> <
> NAML
> <
http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Hello,

I got an update from Source Forge admins
They decided to drop the data because they found it was "full of spam".
They give us a database backup so that we can clean it and create a new wiki instance

It has about 5 GB zipped !

I think that keeping the whole history makes no sense,
I would like to keep only the pages we need
and also disallow users to even register without invitation.

Now we need someone who could take do the work.
Do we have volunteers?

Best,

<ml-node+s996965n833h12@n3.nabble.com> writes:

> Hello,

hello devs,

> I got an update from Source Forge admins
> They decided to drop the data because they found it was "full of spam".
> They give us a database backup so that we can clean it and create a new
> wiki instance
>
> It has about 5 GB zipped !
>
> I think that keeping the whole history makes no sense,
> I would like to keep only the pages we need
> and also disallow users to even register without invitation.
>
> Now we need someone who could take do the work.

I think we shall set up a local mediawiki, import the data and
remove data while still preserving the correct operation of the wiki
(and then upload the SQL to SF).

> Do we have volunteers?

I would actually like to do this (I used to be a LAMP developer ;-)),
but our router is broken (I cannot download 5gb with my smartphone
connection), and I would like to take a day off for this (probably
possible towards the end of January).

So I'll try to do it "soon", but if someone beats me to it, go ahead!

BTW: Fred Leger (the one who updated the wiki a while ago) did not
reply for a long time.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> I think we shall set up a local mediawiki, import the data and
> remove data while still preserving the correct operation of the wiki
> (and then upload the SQL to SF).

Two points to consider:

1. The biggest part of the file is content of table objectcache which is reported to can be safely
dropped.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Objectcache_table

I think you can just remove all lines starting with

INSERT INTO `objectcache` VALUES

2. I am not sure if they used correct encoding. Probably it is correct UTF-8 but I am not sure.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

Volker Börchers

I have filtered out the object_cache inserts and the remaining
f...-no-objectcache.sql.bz2 (same directory) has just 40 MB.

The file command says

     UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines

So this looks not so bad.

Best regards,
Volker

<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,

hello freeplane devs,

> I have filtered out the object_cache inserts and the remaining
> f...-no-objectcache.sql.bz2 (same directory) has just 40 MB.
>
> The file command says
>
> UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines
>
> So this looks not so bad.

Yes, that looks good, thanks!

What are the next steps? Do we just want to import that stripped SQL
into sourceforge? Or shall I/Fred download the sql into a local
mediawiki installation and clean up further?

Fred Leger replied:
"Hello, happy new year. Tes, I can help you. I call back you at 20h00
GMT by Skype."

I'll try to talk to him on the weekend.

Best Regards,
Felix

> Best regards,
> Volker
>
> Am 06.01.2016 um 20:47 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>
>> > I think we shall set up a local mediawiki, import the data and
>> > remove data while still preserving the correct operation of the wiki
>> > (and then upload the SQL to SF).
>> >

>> Two points to consider:
>>

>> 1. The biggest part of the file is content of table objectcache which is
>> reported to can be safely
>> dropped.
>>
>> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Objectcache_table
>>
>> I think you can just remove all lines starting with
>>
>> INSERT INTO `objectcache` VALUES
>>
>> 2. I am not sure if they used correct encoding. Probably it is correct
>> UTF-8 but I am not sure.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dimitry

>> below:
>>
> http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Measures-taken-after-mysteriously-
> rename-of-wiki-directory-in-project-web-space-tp818p835.html
>>
>> To start a new topic under Freeplane Developer, email
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe from Freeplane Developer, click here
>> <
>> NAML
>>
> <http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_
> viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-
> nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-
> nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_
> subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_
> instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

> directory in project web space, click here.
> NAML

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> Or shall I/Fred download the sql into a local
> mediawiki installation and clean up further?

I think we should clean it up because spam was the reason for dropping the service by SF.
If there is no spam we should ask SF what they mean.

The data base size also probably indicates some problems in the configuration because it is strange
if size of data cache is mush larger than the size of data itself.

I would also remove all users who are not admins if it is possible and restrict new user registration.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

hello devs,

I now created a local mediawiki with the database that Volker reduced.
I was not able to use the LocalSettings.php from SF due to some
configuration (and it wouldn't behave much like on SF due to missing
extensions anyway).

>> Or shall I/Fred download the sql into a local
>> mediawiki installation and clean up further?
>
> I think we should clean it up because spam was the reason for dropping the
> service by SF.
> If there is no spam we should ask SF what they mean.

So far I haven't found any signs of spam, but I will sample some more
sites. Maybe it's a good idea to ask SF for details.

I'll look into finding an admin interface for deleting pages/history
and users, ok?

> The data base size also probably indicates some problems in the
> configuration because it is strange
> if size of data cache is mush larger than the size of data itself.
>
> I would also remove all users who are not admins if it is possible and
> restrict new user registration.

Here is the relevant part of LocalSettings.php on SF:

# Restrict editing to logged in users
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['edit']            = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createpage']      = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['createtalk']      = false;

# Recommended by SF.net to help prevent forum spam, revert if needed
#$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

$wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['createpage']      = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['createtalk']      = false;

$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['createpage']      = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['sysop']['createtalk']      = true;

=>

Currently, _many_ users are sysops (>30, even more are plain users), but
if we clear this list, and create accounts manually:
  $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
(as recommended by SF above) then IMHO this should be ok.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

mysql> select * from user;
[...]
181518 rows in set (0.20 sec)

--> I guess _that's_ what they mean by spam! ;-)

--> shall we delete on a database level and just keep ~5 users?

Best Regards,
Felix

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> mysql> select * from user;
> [...]
> 181518 rows in set (0.20 sec)
>
> --> I guess _that's_ what they mean by spam! ;-)
May be.

> --> shall we delete on a database level and just keep ~5 users?

I would keep all users with admin roles as they are the only ones who could edit and remove everyone
else.

I think after you upload cleaned database we can activate the wiki and then I can ask if the SF
people still see any spam there because we don't.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

hello devs,

>> mysql> select * from user;
>> [...]
>> 181518 rows in set (0.20 sec)
>>
>> --> I guess _that's_ what they mean by spam! ;-)
> May be.
>
>> --> shall we delete on a database level and just keep ~5 users?
>
> I would keep all users with admin roles as they are the only ones who could
> edit and remove everyone
> else.

I am in favor of removing _all_ users (except five core devs!) because
of this statement from SF (LocalSettings.php):

# Recommended by SF.net to help prevent forum spam, revert if needed
#$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

--> to me, this means that _all_ users could do harm?

If SF is right with their spam assertion, then one of our admins created
spam... On the other hand, SF probably says that it's security if _no
one_ external can edit...

@Devs: Please decide which users we want to keep.

> I think after you upload cleaned database we can activate the wiki and then
> I can ask if the SF
> people still see any spam there because we don't.

OK. I will look at a few more pages, remove users (see above), then we
can import to SF.

Re: Measures taken after mysteriously rename of wiki directory in project web space

> If SF is right with their spam assertion, then one of our admins created
> spam... On the other hand, SF probably says that it's security if _no
> one_ external can edit...
>
> @Devs: Please decide which users we want to keep.

As you do not see any signs of spam I would keep all users with sysop or bureaucrat role, but if you
want to remove all of them we can add them manually later as they request it.

I want ask the SF staff to check if they see any spam after we go online again to make sure that
they do not have any further concerns either.

Letting only project members to edit the wiki seems to make things more difficult and do not give us
any benefits.

12