Mac OSX & Java Problems - 1.8.0_144

Tamden
Hi all:

I recently upgraded to macOS High Sierra, forgetting all of the problems that this would cause with applications that run Java.  I use Docear, which uses Freeplane as its base.  Docear hasn't been updated since 2015.  So, to the extent that it is related to Freeplane, it is related to a 2014/2015 version of Freeplane (I think).  I keep getting an error that I've seen others post about, but I've not seen a solution.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using the FreeplaneJavaApplicationStub to open the application.  When I do that, this is the error I get:

Knopflerfish OSGi framework launcher, version <unknown>
Copyright 2003-2017 Knopflerfish. All Rights Reserved.
See http://www.knopflerfish.org for more information.

Created Framework: org.knopflerfish.framework, version=8.0.5.
java.io.IOException: Bundle manifest is missing
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.bundlestorage.memory.Archive.<init>(Archive.java:99)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.bundlestorage.memory.BundleArchiveImpl.<init>(BundleArchiveImpl.java:89)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.bundlestorage.memory.BundleStorageImpl.insertBundleJar(BundleStorageImpl.java:91)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.Bundles.install0(Bundles.java:162)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.PermissionOps.callInstall0(PermissionOps.java:325)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.Bundles.install(Bundles.java:119)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleContextImpl.java:125)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.Main.handleArgs(Main.java:550)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.Main.start(Main.java:224)
        at org.knopflerfish.framework.Main.main(Main.java:156)
        at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116)
        at apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
        at apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)
Error: Command "-istart org.freeplane.core" failed, Failed to install bundle: java.io.IOException: Bundle manifest is missing
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

Is this a matter of directing the application to the place where the bundle is located?  I should say that I replaced the old framework.jar & freeplanelauncher.jar files with the ones that come with the current version of Freeplane.

This is the java I am running:

java version "1.8.0_144"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.144-b01, mixed mode)