Quantcast

Graph instead of tree

Shawlee
Hi,

I am an active user of Freeplane. Your outstanding works are appreciated everyday in my routine works. However, It is noticed that the world is changing. Nowadays, The information is linked like a graph (twitter, google, facebook), but not only a tree. So am curious to know if it is possible to have a graph based Freeplane? Something like keylines.com but not only focus on display but also on building the graph.

Some references:
neo4j.org
Keylines.com
Gephi.org
www.yasiv.com

Regards,
Shawlee

Re: Graph instead of tree

We have some ideas about implementing graphs in Freeplane.
We need more developers to do it in the next future.

And this list is a developer list. Would you or your friends like to join us?

Regards, Dimitry

> I am an active user of Freeplane. Your outstanding works are appreciated everyday in my routine
> works. However, It is noticed that the world is changing. Nowadays, The information is linked like a
> graph (twitter, google, facebook), but not only a tree. So am curious to know if it is possible to
> have a graph based Freeplane? Something like keylines.com but not only focus on display but also on
> building the graph.

Re: Graph instead of tree

Shawlee
I am willing to contribute but have very limited bandwidth due to busy routine works. I have some ideas but may not have time for coding, and my java skill is mediocre.  Maybe i should have post the request in other list? Please let me know.

The basic philosophy is,  a map (or graph) can be derived from a domain model. A domain model is a pre-built graph template with wired class entities and relationships, that reflects the domain knowledge. In Twitter/Google+/Facebook, the domain knowledge is really simple, such as person--[post]-->poster, person--[like]-->person, poster--[mention]-->person, etc. However, that is not sufficient for other usages. For example, in my industry, the domain knowledge could be: customer--[wants]-->requirement, technique--[enable]-->requirement, engineer--[is expert of]-->technique, email--[is from]-->customer, document--[is reference of]--technique, etc. When we build a map, we can build it in free way, but a more valuable way is to build it using the domain model as template. So say when adding a new mode, i have to choose from a class entity list based on the domain model, etc. along with time, the map will become bigger and bigger as a graph, but the beauty of graph is that is easy to traverse and visualize, you can use your imagination to view your data in many innovative ways.

Sorry for the lengthy email, hopefully the thoughts are delivered.

Regards,
Shawlee