FreeplaneFX Roadmap

theworldbright
The old thread "FXForms with FreeplaneFX" was getting cluttered, and the title was somewhat outdated, so I created this new one. Here is my plan for the future.

Roadmap

- Port the GrabKeyDialog
- Port the NumberProperty
- Port the Properties Panel

I have a few questions/checks about the GrabKeyDialog/KeyProperty class:

1. What is the modifierMask for (FreeplaneFX branch, KeyProperty, line 86 ~ 88):

        public void disableModifiers() {
                modifierMask = KeyEvent.ALT_MASK | KeyEvent.CTRL_MASK | KeyEvent.META_MASK;
        }

This modifierMask eventually is used to recreate a KeyEvent at (FreeplaneFX branch, GrabKeyDialog, line 98):

        final KeyEvent evt2 = new KeyEvent(evt.getComponent(), evt.getID(), evt.getWhen(), ~getModifierMask() & evt.getModifiers(), evt.getKeyCode(), evt.getKeyChar(), evt.getKeyLocation());

I am guessing that it prevents the ALT/CTRL/META from being used as a shortcut; is that correct?

2. Is the GrabKeyDialog used anywhere else beside from the OptionPanel?

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

> Roadmap
>
> - Port the GrabKeyDialog
> - Port the NumberProperty
> - Port the Properties Panel

Why do you like to start with the properties?
Why do you think this issues are the most important ones?

Personally I think that the most interesting thing would be use of JavaFX for rendering of the map
and the node content. It is hard mostly because of need to implement new map layout but I would like
to contribute my part to it.In the first iteration you should implement JavaFX based views of maps
containing only root node. If it works and we like it I would extend it to the case of a map with
multiple nodes.

Any thoughts?

> I have a few questions/checks about the GrabKeyDialog/KeyProperty class:
>
> 1. What is the modifierMask for (FreeplaneFX branch, KeyProperty, line 86 ~ 88):
>
>         public void disableModifiers() {
>                 modifierMask = KeyEvent.ALT_MASK | KeyEvent.CTRL_MASK | KeyEvent.META_MASK;
>         }
>
> This modifierMask eventually is used to recreate a KeyEvent at (FreeplaneFX branch, GrabKeyDialog,
> line 98):
>
>         final KeyEvent evt2 = new KeyEvent(evt.getComponent(), evt.getID(), evt.getWhen(),
> *~getModifierMask()* & evt.getModifiers(), evt.getKeyCode(), evt.getKeyChar(), evt.getKeyLocation());
>
> I am guessing that it prevents the ALT/CTRL/META from being used as a shortcut; is that correct?

The code is far away from clean here.
It makes that if any of modifiers ALT/CTRL/META are pressed they are ignored in the captured key
short cut.

> 2. Is the GrabKeyDialog used anywhere else beside from the OptionPanel?

Yes, its important usage is in AccelerateableAction in method newAccelerator

Regards, Dimirty

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

theworldbright
Dimitry Polivaev wrote
Why do you like to start with the properties?
Why do you think this issues are the most important ones?
You have a good point. However, I am already half-done with the JavaFX OptionPanel, so might as well finish everything related to it. Otherwise, I will not be able to delete the old Java Swing code in the PropertyBeans, which the Properties panel depends on.
Dimitry Polivaev wrote
Yes, its important usage is in AccelerateableAction in method newAccelerator
Can I know which buttons/menus to press in order fire the action from Freeplane?

Regards,

Kent

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

theworldbright
Dimitry Polivaev wrote
It makes that if any of modifiers ALT/CTRL/META are pressed they are ignored in the captured key
short cut.
So in essence the only modifier allowed is the SHIFT. Hence, every key shortcut looks like shift + name of key or simply name of key, e.g., "shift TAB", "TAB", "4", etc. Is that correct? Or is there some other non-standard modifier keys that exist and are supported such as ALT_GRAPH_MASK?

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

>     Yes, its important usage is in AccelerateableAction in method newAccelerator
>
> Can I know which buttons/menus to press in order fire the action from Freeplane?

All actions connected to menu items in Freeplane are instances of AccelerateableAction.
This method is triggered always when user wants to assign a new short cut to any action.

As you know Freeplane menu structure has changed in Freeplane 1.4.x . So if you use ribbons you can
trigger it by selecting ToolsAndSettings->AssignHotKey... and clicking any other action in the
ribbon tool bar.

For finding this information yourself you could have look at the call hierarchy of method
AccelerateableAction.newAccelerator in Eclipse.

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

On 19.08.2014 18:50, theworldbright [via Freeplane Developer] wrote:
>     Dimitry Polivaev wrote
>     It makes that if any of modifiers ALT/CTRL/META are pressed they are ignored in the captured key
>     short cut.
>
> So in essence the only modifier allowed is the SHIFT. Hence, every key shortcut looks like shift +
> name of key or simply name of key, e.g., "shift TAB", "TAB", "4", etc. Is that correct? Or is there
> some other non-standard modifier keys that exist and are supported such as ALT_GRAPH_MASK?

I am not quire sure.

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

Volker Börchers
Am 19.08.2014 um 21:10 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>  > Can I know which buttons/menus to press in order fire the action from
> Freeplane?
>
 > [...]
 >
> For finding this information yourself you could have look at the call
> hierarchy of method
> AccelerateableAction.newAccelerator in Eclipse.

Or (that's what I find much easier) lookup the action in
mindmapmodemenu.xml or ribbons.xml.

Regards,
Volker

Re: FreeplaneFX Roadmap

theworldbright
Dimitry Polivaev wrote
As you know Freeplane menu structure has changed in Freeplane 1.4.x . So if you use ribbons you can
trigger it by selecting ToolsAndSettings->AssignHotKey... and clicking any other action in the
ribbon tool bar.
Thank you, that clears things up. I now see why there is support for CTRL, META, and ALT in the GrabKeyDialog.

Dimitry Polivaev wrote
I am not quire sure.
I am going to assume that for the icon key shortcuts (Icons -> Icons from table -> Select an Icon Dialog) only supports the SHIFT modifier. For the rest of the key shortcuts the CTRL, META, SHIFT, and ALT modifiers will be supported.

Volker Borchers wrote
Or (that's what I find much easier) lookup the action in
mindmapmodemenu.xml or ribbons.xml.
I always liked how Freeplane organizes things through mind maps; very clever idea indeed.

Regards,

Kent