Freeplane releases

yesterday I discussed with Felix and Volker how we could proceed with new features I recently added
to Freeplane 1.3.x and 1.4.x . We agreed that postponing the features until Freeplane with Ribbons
is released makes no sense and there can be an intermediate release. This features require two new
attributes in Freeplane xml format and a couple of new strings in the translations.

Felix suggested to increase a Freeplane XML version number to make sure user get a warning if they
open file created by newer version.

Volker stated  that if we increase the XML version we should have also a major version change.

To satisfy the both I propose to proceed as follows:

1. Freeplane with ribbons currently developed on branch 1.4.x gets version number 1.5.x .
A new branch 1.5.x is created in the github repository.

2. Freeplane version currently contained on branch 1.3.x becomes version number 1.4.2 and is pushed
to branch 1.4.x with --force .It makes new translation strings available at weblate.

2a. Also if you have any features committed to old branch 1.4.x you can cherry pick them back to the
new 1.4.x . Here I am thinking about changes on content transformers implemented by Felix, may be
there are also other possible picks.

3. Freeplane branch 1.3.x is reset to the state before my last changes.

Before we proceed in this sense I ask Felix and Volker to give their votes replaying to this mail.

Aw: Freeplane releases

hello,

I think renaming branches is a lot of work, we might even have to re-checkout our repos.
@Volker: Can't we agree on doing this minor file format change in 1.3.17 (version="freeplane 1.3.17")?

Best Regards,
Felix

Felix Natter

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2015 um 11:50 Uhr
Von: "Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]" <[hidden email]>
An: "Felix Natter" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Freeplane releases
Hi,

[...]

http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Freeplane-releases-tp768.html
To start a new topic under Freeplane Developer, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Freeplane Developer, click here.
NAML

Re: Freeplane releases

> hello, I think renaming branches is a lot of work, we might even have to re-checkout our repos.

IMHO it is not that hard because we do not remove any branches.
At home you just execute

$ git fetch origin
$ git reset origin/1.3.x --hard
$ git reset origin/1.4.x --hard

> @Volker: Can't we agree on doing this minor file format change in 1.3.17 (version="freeplane
> 1.3.17")? Best Regards, Felix

Volker, how do you think?

Re: Freeplane releases

Volker Börchers
Administrator
Hi everyone,

Am 22.10.2015 um 13:38 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
>  > @Volker: Can't we agree on doing this minor file format change in
> 1.3.17 (version="freeplane
>  > 1.3.17")? Best Regards, Felix
>
> Volker, how do you think?

I have no objections to adding the attributes without increasing the
file version in 1.3. We have done such non-breaking changes several
times in the past without anyone complaining.

But for me it's absolutely a no-go to have a file version change from
one to another "stable" version with all these horrible warning that it
could cause for users.

So if you insist on increasing the file version I see no way around a
major release.

Regards,
Volker

Re: Freeplane releases

Hi Volker,
Hi Dimitry,

Ok then let's Release 1.3.17 without bumping the format  version.
Best Regards,
Felix

http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Freeplane-releases-tp768p771.html
To start a new topic under Freeplane Developer, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Freeplane Developer, click here.
NAML

Re: Freeplane releases

Hi Felix,
Hi Volker,

the reason for this discussion is that I want that nobody of us has concerns about Freeplane
quality. In case we introduce new features demanding this format change and do not change a format
version number so that old version users do not get a warning I would feel sorry myself.

Because of that in my eyes it were all right to change the version to 1.3.17 or 1.4.0 but not to
keep it so that people are not warned and suddenly have wrong bad experience.

So let us have a google hangout session about it at the weekend.
We can coordinate the time in private mails.