Freeplane 1.4.x

Hi Volker, Felix, Blair, Kent, Docear people!

I think it is like my duty to ask questions about the next major release.
I would like to know your opinion about it.
Let us plan it together.

1. Ribbons.

It looks like there are still some issues regarding user specific menus like scripts.

Do you think we should work on these issues OR rather remove ribbons as something too complex and
not adding much benefits?

If we keep Ribbons, don't you think it were a kind of important to introduce an abstraction layer so
that the rest of the program can handle them the same way?

2. Gradle.

How is it going?

Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like to include some tests. Both
issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.

3. Clones.

I hope I finished them a couple of months ago.
I did my best but I do not like the implementation too much because the part responsible for
synchronization of inserted / deleted nodes and links das added some complexity to the whole.
Is it still acceptable?

4. What other features should be considered for Freeplane 1.4.x?

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi Volker, Felix, Blair, Kent, Docear people!
>
> I think it is like my duty to ask questions about the next major release.
> I would like to know your opinion about it.
> Let us plan it together.

hello to All!

> 1. Ribbons.
>
> It looks like there are still some issues regarding user specific menus like scripts.
>
> Do you think we should work on these issues OR rather remove ribbons as something too complex and
> not adding much benefits?

I like the ribbons because the UI looks more professional than before,
and may be easier to use for some people
(the downside is that they take up more space --> it would be good to
have/keep menus as a fallback)

> If we keep Ribbons, don't you think it were a kind of important to introduce an abstraction layer so
> that the rest of the program can handle them the same way?

That's a good point :-)

> 2. Gradle.
>
> How is it going?

In the last few weeks, Blair and I have not been very active, but we
achieved some things in October (and before):

- set up dependencies and the general framework: it builds when
  disabling tests in jortho and freeplane_ant (but it does not start
  yet)

- force generating non-OGSi manifests for some jars (the default is
  to generate an OSGi manifest for all projects with osgi plugin)

- most jars are built (not necessarily correctly, i.e. OSGi jars
  aren't yet correct)

- put core jars into DIST/core and plugin jars into DIST/plugins

I have some weeks off in December and I will work on the gradle-build
during that time (@Blair: do you have time, too?). I think we might need
some help especially in getting all the little things to work like
before (or better) ;-)

> Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like to include some tests. Both
> issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.

I also would like to deliver 1.4.x with gradle.

> 3. Clones.
>
> I hope I finished them a couple of months ago.
> I did my best but I do not like the implementation too much because the part responsible for
> synchronization of inserted / deleted nodes and links das added some complexity to the whole.
> Is it still acceptable?

I'm not using this feature much, but additional complexity doensn't
sound that good ;-)

> 4. What other features should be considered for Freeplane 1.4.x?

I think while we're "waiting" for the gradle stuff to complete, there
are a couple of small things that could be fixed:

- allow nested submenus (#2200) --> I can fix this if you give me an
  example add-on

- #2202 (Missing notification when trying to write to read-only
   (write-protected) file) --> This can really lead to data loss,
   I'll probably try to fix it but might ask for help

- #2195 (Latex formatting clashes with the "Date formatting" options):
  --> my first hack was to do the "transformation on/off" only when
  registering the IContentTransformers, but Volker does not want this
  because it means that changing the "Date formatting" checkbox in prefs
  will then only take effect on restart [1]
  --> so I tend to not fix this (don't know how).

[1] http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Make-quot-render-formulas-quot-independent-of-quot-render-LaTeX-quot-2195-tt565.html

- Fold All + max_number_nodes_diplayed (see
  http://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/81637788/?limit=25#77b5)
  I will fix this one way or another soon.

- maybe more...

If anyone wants to pick up a "low hanging fruit" above then that's fine
for me.

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

BArchibald
Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of communication recently (just started my PhD so trying to get settled).

On 30 November 2014 at 20:54, Felix Natter [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1. Ribbons.
>
> It looks like there are still some issues regarding user specific menus like scripts.
>
> Do you think we should work on these issues OR rather remove ribbons as something too complex and
> not adding much benefits?

I like the ribbons because the UI looks more professional than before,
and may be easier to use for some people
(the downside is that they take up more space --> it would be good to
have/keep menus as a fallback)

I agree that ribbons add benefit to new users. We could, if we really wanted to, add a survey (optional of course) to the new version and let the user base decide. (would be interesting to get the community involved).

> If we keep Ribbons, don't you think it were a kind of important to introduce an abstraction layer so
> that the rest of the program can handle them the same way?

Definitely. This will be a great improvement to the overall program design in my mind.

> 2. Gradle.
>
> How is it going?

In the last few weeks, Blair and I have not been very active, but we
achieved some things in October (and before):

- set up dependencies and the general framework: it builds when
  disabling tests in jortho and freeplane_ant (but it does not start
  yet)

- force generating non-OGSi manifests for some jars (the default is
  to generate an OSGi manifest for all projects with osgi plugin)

- most jars are built (not necessarily correctly, i.e. OSGi jars
  aren't yet correct)

- put core jars into DIST/core and plugin jars into DIST/plugins

I have some weeks off in December and I will work on the gradle-build
during that time (@Blair: do you have time, too?). I think we might need
some help especially in getting all the little things to work like
before (or better) ;-)

I will have some time at evenings/weekends over the next few weeks. Once Christmas is finished I will have a week or so of free time  (this won't be until the 27th/28th).

If you email me separately we can decide on a course of action and get it done.

> Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like to include some tests. Both
> issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.

I also would like to deliver 1.4.x with gradle.

IntelliJ should be easy enough to setup with Gradle. Because this is mainly a developer facing issue I'm not sure it is worth delaying the release just for Gradle.

> [Snip]

> 4. What other features should be considered for Freeplane 1.4.x?

I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm not sure what is in the pipeline. I guess working through the low hanging fruit is the best idea since it's not likely to force major API changes.

Many thanks,
Blair

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

Volker Börchers

Am 30.11.2014 um 16:55 schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
> 1. Ribbons.
>
> It looks like there are still some issues regarding user specific menus
> like scripts.
>
> Do you think we should work on these issues OR rather remove ribbons as
> something too complex and
> not adding much benefits?

I'm not completely sure about that. I consider ribbons better than menus
but there are issues with scripts and especially add-ons. While it is
very simple to place a menu item at some place in the menu it is much
more difficult with ribbons. With menus one can always add a menu item
at the lower end but with ribbons you have consider layout constraints.
So if the user wants to place a functionality at a certain place in the
ribbon menu we have to find ways to enable that or - at least - provide
sensible fall-backs.

At least for the most urgent problem - the lack of keyboard shortcuts
for scripts - we know how to fix it: We can use a hidden "old-style"
menu to attach the shortcuts to. But, unfortunately, although this
solution had been found some months ago I haven't implemented it yet and
scripting is still not at all usable with 1.4.

> If we keep Ribbons, don't you think it were a kind of important to
> introduce an abstraction layer so
> that the rest of the program can handle them the same way?

That would be great but I am skeptical about the possibility to create
such a layer - the two menu concepts are pretty different and any
compatibility layer would most probably be very limited in using
ribbon's potentials.

> 2. Gradle.
>
> How is it going?
>
> Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like
> to include some tests. Both
> issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.

Gradle would be great. If it requires a reorganization of the code we
should do (wait for) it with 1.4.

> 3. Clones.
>
> I hope I finished them a couple of months ago.
> I did my best but I do not like the implementation too much because the
> part responsible for
> synchronization of inserted / deleted nodes and links das added some
> complexity to the whole.
> Is it still acceptable?

I'm not too worried about some increased complexity due to the clones
feature. More interesting for me is the way they work and how compatible
they are with FreeMind's clones.

> 4. What other features should be considered for Freeplane 1.4.x?

I have two things that I have on my wish list for a long time: 1.
Freeplane should save the last visited location per map and 2. Freeplane
should recognize if map files have been changed by others, at least
before saving. But these are only wishes, no blockers of course.

Regards,
Volker

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

>  > 1. Ribbons.
>  >
>  > It looks like there are still some issues regarding user specific menus
>  > like scripts.
>  >
>  > Do you think we should work on these issues OR rather remove ribbons as
>  > something too complex and
>  > not adding much benefits?
>
> I'm not completely sure about that. I consider ribbons better than menus
> but there are issues with scripts and especially add-ons. While it is
> very simple to place a menu item at some place in the menu it is much
> more difficult with ribbons. With menus one can always add a menu item
> at the lower end but with ribbons you have consider layout constraints.
> So if the user wants to place a functionality at a certain place in the
> ribbon menu we have to find ways to enable that or - at least - provide
> sensible fall-backs.
>
> At least for the most urgent problem - the lack of keyboard shortcuts
> for scripts - we know how to fix it: We can use a hidden "old-style"
> menu to attach the shortcuts to. But, unfortunately, although this
> solution had been found some months ago I haven't implemented it yet and
> scripting is still not at all usable with 1.4.

For me it looks like problems with Ribbons can block the next release for a long time, are they?
Who is interested in working on the issues? When?
What should we do all together? what makes sense? How could we start?
Do we need some coordinated efforts like TeamViewer session or asking Marcel for help?

>  > If we keep Ribbons, don't you think it were a kind of important to
>  > introduce an abstraction layer so
>  > that the rest of the program can handle them the same way?
>
> That would be great but I am skeptical about the possibility to create
> such a layer - the two menu concepts are pretty different and any
> compatibility layer would most probably be very limited in using
> ribbon's potentials.

>  > 3. Clones.
>  >
>  > I hope I finished them a couple of months ago.
>  > I did my best but I do not like the implementation too much because the
>  > part responsible for
>  > synchronization of inserted / deleted nodes and links das added some
>  > complexity to the whole.
>  > Is it still acceptable?
>
> I'm not too worried about some increased complexity due to the clones
> feature. More interesting for me is the way they work and how compatible
> they are with FreeMind's clones.

They are not compatible to FreeMind clones.
FreeMind tries to synchronize all cloned nodes that means it has to use separate code for
synchronization of each and every element.

Freeplane duplicates node structures and links (connectors), but all the content of each clone is
shared. Therefore it is always saved only once per map or per a serialized part of the map.

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

theworldbright
Hello all,

>> 2. Gradle.
>>
>> How is it going?
>>
>> Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like
>> to include some tests. Both
>> issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.

>Gradle would be great. If it requires a reorganization of the code we
>should do (wait for) it with 1.4.

I am excited for Gradle. Studying the switch would also be useful for my understanding of OSGi and how Freeplane is built. I'll try to see if I can find something small to pick up for after Christmas.

Regards,

Kent

Re: Freeplane 1.4.x

"theworldbright [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello all,

hi Kent,

>>> 2. Gradle.
>>>
>>> How is it going?
>>>
>>> Actually I would like to be able to use IntelliJ too, and I would like
>>> to include some tests. Both
>>> issues are depending on swith from Ant to Gradle.
>
>>Gradle would be great. If it requires a reorganization of the code we
>>should do (wait for) it with 1.4.
>
> I am excited for Gradle. Studying the switch would also be useful for my understanding of OSGi and how
> Freeplane is built. I'll try to see if I can find something small to pick up for after Christmas.

Currently we're aiming (first shot) at configuring OSGi
(**/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF) exactly the way it was done with
freeplane-ant. This is because there are other complexities
that we want to solve first (I hope Blair agrees with me,
he has not answered yet).

The gradle OSGi plugin uses bnd (http://www.aqute.biz/Bnd/Bnd) to
automatically generate manifests based on hints ("instructions"),
so using it will require some more work.
Maybe it's even better to go this route directly?, but then I think we
would need some help ;-)