Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

Hello,

I would like to ask if anybody is working on any features you want to include in Freeplane 1.4.x?
On the one side we do not have to finish it soon as 1.3.x was released right now,
on the other side it were just good to know what should come in 1.4.x except for the ribbons, the
clones and the background images we already have here.

I would particularly like if somebody wants to implement some not very complex feature requests or
work on documentation or improve exports.

Any interest? Any ideas? Any commitments?

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

"Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask if anybody is working on any features you want to include in Freeplane 1.4.x?
> On the one side we do not have to finish it soon as 1.3.x was released right now,
> on the other side it were just good to know what should come in 1.4.x except for the ribbons, the
> clones and the background images we already have here.
>
> I would particularly like if somebody wants to implement some not very complex feature requests or
> work on documentation or improve exports.
>
> Any interest? Any ideas? Any commitments?

How about improving the openmaps plugin such that you (1) can click on
the globe icon to open the map view and (2) are be able to select a
location more than once using the map view (currently you have to delete
the openmaps link and re-add it)?

But I am also open to other suggestions.

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

BArchibald
Hi guys,

I would like to get the build system finished for version 1.4. In terms of actual features I have nothing else I'm currently working on but I'm open to ideas.

How about improving the openmaps plugin such that you (1) can click on
the globe icon to open the map view and (2) are be able to select a
location more than once using the map view (currently you have to delete
the openmaps link and re-add it)?

This would definitely be a good idea. I'd be happy to implement the features (since I originally did the OpenMaps work), although I think this would be great "low hanging fruit" for a new developer to get used to the plugin system and project structure?

Many thanks,
Blair

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

nnako
This post was updated on .

what about some not so fancy stuff like improving the handling of "links"? Especially links which have been created using the "anchored linking" mechanism. With growing maps and the growing amount of cross-linked nodes between maps in mind, I was thinking of developing consistent functionalities for renaming or moving whole mindmap files or shifting branches between mindmaps. Without loosing the links between their nodes (GOAL: no manual fixing of links necessary, anymore).

I've already have a rough idea how to do it. And I feel quite motivated as it doesn't seem to be too complicated but very useful regarding usability.

Thanks.
nnako

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

> I would like to get the build system finished for version 1.4. In terms of actual features I have
> nothing else I'm currently working on but I'm open to ideas.

In my view the build system is relevant only when we add new dependencies because in a new system
they do not have to be added to the git repo. And until now there has been no request in this direction.

>     How about improving the openmaps plugin such that you (1) can click on
>     the globe icon to open the map view and (2) are be able to select a
>     location more than once using the map view (currently you have to delete
>     the openmaps link and re-add it)?
>

> This would definitely be a good idea. I'd be happy to implement the features (since I originally did
> the OpenMaps work), although I think this would be great "low hanging fruit" for a new developer to
> get used to the plugin system and project structure?

I am not sure if OpenMaps are relevant for so many users. Some user requests from the last time
seems personally for me more appealing.

My incomplete selection of feature requests from Mantis and phpBB:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/freeplane/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=780 =>
        - More kinds of nodes (squared, circular...)
        - More kinds of lines (dotted, stripped...)
        - Exporting single nodes or selected branches
        - Edit multiple nodes(notes, details) simultaneously in many text editor instances

Mantis:
double-clicking on "note"-icon in node should open note-editor
double-clicking on "attributes"-icon in node should go to attribute-edit mode even if node is
"minimized"
single-clicking on "attributes"-icon in node should display attributes even if node is "minimized"
Find and replace within all open maps should search in details, notes and in attributes
use AES instead of DES for encryption
Map-wide spell-check
Sound alarm with reminder
Allow User to choose default working folder
Use http://wiki.languagetool.org/java-api for spell checking (looks interesting, should be evaluated)
Fit Mind Map for printing on M x N pages

Also a new idea from recent discussion: autostart script files from an user scripts/autostart directory

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

Links handling has recently become more complicated because of clones: if there are nodes A and B
and their clones A' and B' then now only Link from A to B is saved and the links from A' to B' are
being calculated. For this purpose I added some classes to calculate relative positions of linked
nodes and to apply them to their clones.

if you like we could discuss the new logic and your ideas on this list or in Skype.

> Hi,
>
> what about some not so fancy stuff like improving the handling of "links"? Especially links which
> have been created using the "anchored linking" mechanism. With growing maps and the growing amount
> of cross-linked nodes between maps in mind, I was thinking of developing consistent functionalities
> for /renaming/ or /moving/ whole mindmap files or /shifting/ branches between mindmaps. Without
> loosing the links between their nodes (GOAL: no manual fixing of links necessary, anymore).
>
> I've already have a rough idea how to do it. And I feel quite motivated as it doesn't seem to be too
> complicated but very useful regarding usability.
>
> Thanks.
> Nnamdi

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

Joeran
Hello,

Mantis:
double-clicking on "note"-icon in node should open note-editor
double-clicking on "attributes"-icon in node should go to attribute-edit mode even if node is
"minimized"
single-clicking on "attributes"-icon in node should display attributes even if node is "minimized"

I really like these ideas. Although I won't have time to help with the implementation, I would like to propose a few more ideas, maybe someone of you likes them:

  1. A "in-software translation system" to translate the dialogs etc. in Freeplane. I imagine a functionality similar to assigning shortcuts, but for translating strings. For instance, if the translation mode is enabled, holding CTRL+ALT and clicking a menu item or text-label could open a dialog which shows the English text and provides a text-field for writing a translation. I believe, such a system would be much more frequently used by the users to translate Freeplane (or Docear). Of course, there would be some online service required that manages the translations.
  2. Docear already displays icons on nodes depending on the file-type that is linked, e.g. a PDF icon if a PDF file is linked by a node (see http://www.docear.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/img_521c9b6f881df.png). It would be nice if there would be individual icons for more file types such as folders, images, excel sheets, ...
Best,
Joeran

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

h.goebel
Am 16.06.2014 22:36, schrieb Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer]:
> Fit Mind Map for printing on M x N pages

If you are printing via generating a PDF, you may find may
tool`pdfposter`being useful.  It's written in Python, but the algorithm
should be easy to convert to java. https://gitorious.org/pdftools/pdfposter

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [hidden email]               |

Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

"BArchibald [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi guys,

hi all,

> I would like to get the build system finished for version 1.4. In terms of actual features I have nothing
> else I'm currently working on but I'm open to ideas.
>

>     How about improving the openmaps plugin such that you (1) can click on
>     the globe icon to open the map view and (2) are be able to select a
>     location more than once using the map view (currently you have to delete
>     the openmaps link and re-add it)?
>
> This would definitely be a good idea. I'd be happy to implement the features (since I originally did the
> OpenMaps work), although I think this would be great "low hanging fruit" for a new developer to get used to
> the plugin system and project structure?

I do this now in order to pick the figurative low hanging fruit :-)
(after this I am open for other features, since the Debian package is
hopefully finalized - upload pending)

(2) is done.
concerning (1): Could someone give me a hint how this is done using
hyperlinks for instance so that I can copy/adapt it?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

Ellie Mzn
Hi everyone

As a new member of this group, I am interested to start my contribution with a "low hanging fruit" kind of feature development, or contributing in documentation.

I really appreciate any suggestion.

Enthusiastically,
Ellie.

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

> As a new member of this group, I am interested to start my contribution with a "low hanging fruit"
> kind of feature development, or contributing in documentation.
>
> I really appreciate any suggestion.
>
> Enthusiastically,
> Ellie.

Hi Ellie,

thank you for your post. I like your concise mail so much that I just quote it here completely :) .

I am afraid there are no particularly "low hanging fruits" because Freeplane code base is not too
easy and clean. It can be improved and extended, however it can take you some time until you get
comfortable with it.

Therefore the question is what kind of improvement you are mostly interested in because your
motivation is the key to our success.

Let us think together about what our users can mostly miss in Freeplane.

If I look at the discussions in out forum I often think that it is always packed with so many great
features, and that users discovers them just by luck. Although knowledge management is the main
reason for Freeplane to exist we do not have a comprehensive documentation structured with clarity
which would allow the users to find what freeplane is able of when he needs it. Obviously users can
get help in the forum, but there are many of them who just give up before.

And creating documentation maps are really creative act. Current documentation reflects ideas of the
guy who made it. The one who makes decides. In my eyes it is not as easy to use  and not as much up
to date as it should be. But because nobody cares it has not been improved yet.

So I believe that concentrating on documentation you could have the most impact with the less
efforts. And that you should not accept things as they are but find your own way. There are
thousands of alternatives how to organize and develop documentation.

If you like to handle code more than document existing stuff, there are a lots of requests, and the
best choice is one that convinces personally you.

For example you could work on any of the issues I mentioned in post
http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Features-for-Freeplane-1-4-x-tp375p379.html  or on
issues requested in
https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/thread/72a80185/?limit=25#69d3 or improve
export to MS office or to Open Office. May be you have your own ideas about what you or the others
need. Come up with them and let us discuss them.

Let us keep in touch. Let us follow your decisions and efforts and exchange ideas, questions and
solutions here so that everyone can contribute and so that you can be satisfied with the results of
your work and time.

Best regards,

Re: Features for Freeplane 1.4.x

"Ellie Mzn [via Freeplane Developer]"
<[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi everyone
>
> As a new member of this group, I am interested to start my contribution with a "low hanging fruit" kind
> of feature development, or contributing in documentation.
>
> I really appreciate any suggestion.

hi Ellie,

great that you're joining us! I'm looking forward to working with you!

Good Luck and Success,