Quantcast

Building on Mac OS X

12

Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia
Hello,

I just joined this list. I'd like to build Freeplane on OS X 10.11, using Java 8 and 64-bit. Moreover, I'd like to get rid of the dependence on com.apple.eawt. I don't understand all the details about that extension, Java 6, Oracle and all that, but I'd sure like to make all this simpler by making Freeplane easy to build on the latest software available (not the latest hardware, but at least 64-bit hardware).

Excuse me if I'm being naive and ridiculous. :-)

==Leonard

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia
I can't get past the Eclipse restriction on accessing com.apple.eawt from rt.jar, even though I've found a number of discussions of this online. Suggestions for configuring Eclipse to remove restrictions don't work.

Anyway, I advocate not using the Apple extensions. So, I found a stub library for them, called Orange Extensions.
http://ymasory.github.io/OrangeExtensions/
It hasn't been updated in a few years. With a minor change, I have it running in my build.

Freeplane 1.4.1 alpha now builds and runs on OS X 10.11, Java 1.8, 64-bit. The look and feel doesn't have the Mac menu at the top of the screen (except for the Freeplane one), so has the strip (what does Microsoft call that?) of commands at the top of the app.

The Apple menu at the top of the screen is their convention, of course, but I don't think it's necessary. Personally, I feel that Java apps should look the same on all platforms.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

hello Leonard,

please use/build the 1.5.x branch, 1.4.x is deprecated and will never be released,
the next release will be 1.5.x.

Cheers and Best Regards,
Felix

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia
I used the link for Git, as given in the Sourceforge page,
git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/freeplane/freeplane freeplane-freeplane

Felix, can you tell me how to switch this over to 1.5?

Thank you.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

hello Leonard,

we are using github nowadays, please clone
https://github.com/freeplane/freeplane.git

This will use the 1.5.x branch by default.

Checkout and build instructions are here:
http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Git_howto

Cheers and Best Regards,
Felix

Re: Building on Mac OS X

Hello Leonard,

could you finally compile the project?

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia
Thanks for your message, Dimitry. I haven’t tried since Felix directed me to a different Git repository. The important thing to me was simply to go through the process. I’ve started working on Docear, so the release from Freeplane isn’t important to me, since Docear has their own release of it included (unfortunately).

On the other hand, if you need someone to test the build on OS X, I can do that.

On Mar 18, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Leonard,

could you finally compile the project?

http://freeplane-developer.996965.n3.nabble.com/Building-on-Mac-OS-X-tp875p880.html
To unsubscribe from Building on Mac OS X, click here.
NAML

Re: Building on Mac OS X

Interesting. I have not known that Docear is actively developed again. Could you share with us some
information about it?

As freeplane changed its build from ant to gradle, docear was supposed to follow but has stopped.
And both projects have the same issues with Mac related code, here you can only compile it using
Java 7 because Java 8 library for Mac is wrongly configured (It is crazy but true).

> Thanks for your message, Dimitry. I haven’t tried since Felix directed me to a different Git
> repository. The important thing to me was simply to go through the process. I’ve started working on
> Docear, so the release from Freeplane isn’t important to me, since Docear has their own release of
> it included (unfortunately).

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 18, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Interesting. I have not known that Docear is actively developed again. Could you share with us some
information about it?

I just got involved in Docear, in order to build up support on OS X, and a couple of people responded to me, although someone said that it has not been active.

I’m a fan of Java and have a science background. I’m happy to find Java-based publication PDF management software.

As freeplane changed its build from ant to gradle, docear was supposed to follow but has stopped.
And both projects have the same issues with Mac related code, here you can only compile it using
Java 7 because Java 8 library for Mac is wrongly configured (It is crazy but true).

I need to learn more about this. I’m not familiar with Gradle. I assume that everyone keeps moving on to the latest Java. Docear’s dependence on Java 6 on OS X has been frustrating. Can you point me to a good article about the problems with Java 8?

Thank you!

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 18, 2016, at 12:51 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Interesting. I have not known that Docear is actively developed again. Could you share with us some
information about it?

p.s.
The last release of Docear was in December 2015.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 18, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Leonard,

could you finally compile the project?

I’ve set with the latest Freeplane 1.5.x on my OS X 10.11 Mac. It built with Gradle without error. In Eclipse, it shows errors in MacChanges. No surprise there. It’s the usual problem with finding com.apple.eawt, regarding Eclipse’s setting to restrict access from those. So, I added the Orange Extensions stub library.

It runs from Eclipse, with some errors. It sent a bug report in.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 19, 2016, at 10:13 AM, LEONARD E SITONGIA <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ve set with the latest Freeplane 1.5.x on my OS X 10.11 Mac.

I’m not familiar with Gradle and I use Netbeans more than Eclipse. I don’t see how to run a Gradle build from within Eclipse. Would you give me a few tips on a few common tasks in development?

Thanks!

Re: Building on Mac OS X

hi Leonard,

there is an eclipse plugin for calling gradle tasks:
http://gradle.org/press-release/eclipse-gradle/

But I would recommend just opening a shell, executing the command there
and refreshing / reimport projects in eclipse. This is documented here:
http://www.freeplane.org/wiki/index.php/Git_howto

Cheers and Best Regards,
Felix

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 19, 2016, at 10:24 AM, LEONARD E SITONGIA <[hidden email]> wrote:

latest Freeplane 1.5.x on my OS X 10.11 Mac.

I see in the Git howto that freeplane_mac is not used. If I do the given Gradle tasks
 $ gradle clean build cleanEclipse eclipse
will I have a Freeplane that works the same on all platforms, including Mac?

If I change this to

 $ gradle clean build4mac cleanEclipse eclipse

will I then be building for my Mac and include freeplane_mac?

I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there many Mac users?

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia
BTW, is this the best way to discuss development? There’s a page in the wiki
which gives a contact link, but the link is broken (it appears to only say “http://www.”. Maybe the wiki is deprecated? It lists development teams only through Freeplane 1.3.

I don’t recall how I found this nabble link. Is it the right place?

Thanks.

On Mar 21, 2016, at 10:24 AM, LEONARD E SITONGIA <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there many Mac users?

Re: Building on Mac OS X

> I see in the Git howto that freeplane_mac is not used. If I do the given Gradle tasks
>
>   $ gradle clean build cleanEclipse eclipse
>
> will I have a Freeplane that works the same on all platforms, including Mac?

You can open freeplane_mac if you develop under mac. It contains mac compatibility code for  Mac OS
integration. You usuall do not need to change it.

The above command is needed to create eclipse specific files needed for development in eclipse.
It includes also mac related files.

> I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there
> many Mac users?

There are some mac users and we want to support them.

Regards

Re: Building on Mac OS X

Am 21.03.2016 um 18:06 schrieb lsitongia [via Freeplane Developer]:
> BTW, is this the best way to discuss development? There’s a page in the wiki
> Contributing to Freeplane's Development - Freeplane - free mind mapping and knowledge management
> software <http://freeplane.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Contributing_to_Freeplane%27s_Development>
> which gives a contact link, but the link is broken (it appears to only say “http://www.”. Maybe the
> wiki is deprecated? It lists development teams only through Freeplane 1.3.
>
> I don’t recall how I found this nabble link. Is it the right place?

This list is the main communication channel for the freeplane developers.
If you see that wiki content is wrong, please let us register you as a wiki user and correct it.
For registering as a wiki user you can write us your wanted user name and mail address to be sent a
wiki password.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 21, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there
> many Mac users?

There are some mac users and we want to support them.

I understand. I just discovered AppleJavaExtensions.jar in the JabRef project. Looks like a better choice than I made for the OrangeExtensions stubs. I’m going to try it out.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 22, 2016, at 3:24 PM, LEONARD E SITONGIA <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mar 21, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there
> many Mac users?

There are some mac users and we want to support them.

I understand. I just discovered AppleJavaExtensions.jar in the JabRef project. Looks like a better choice than I made for the OrangeExtensions stubs. I’m going to try it out.

Never mind. It’s another stub library. For building on non-OS-X systems.

Re: Building on Mac OS X

lsitongia

On Mar 21, 2016, at 12:48 PM, Dimitry Polivaev [via Freeplane Developer] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to eliminate Mac-specific parts of Freeplane. Is that a good or bad idea? Are there
> many Mac users?

There are some mac users and we want to support them.

When I run freeplane-osgi-mac, it says

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.freeplane.plugin.macos.MacChanges cannot be found by org.freeplane.core_1.5.0

I see that the Eclipse run configuration for that, in the Environment tab, doesn’t list freeplane_mac. That’s because it isn’t a plugin? What controls getting that code included? Something in Gradle (which I haven’t learned yet).

Freeplane appears normal when it comes up under Eclipse and the OS X menu is there, unlike run freeplane-osgi. So, I don’t see that the error is causing trouble.

12